Tuesday, October 9, 2012

And the winner is...

Last week we had a CONTEST, for the first time in a long time. I had fun and hope you guys did too. 

Everyone who participated had great tips on dealing with procrastination, and you should definitely read all the comments on that post, but my very favorite was Kaye Draper's:

I don't know that this is an amazing secret tip or anything... but my way of avoiding procrastination is similar to what you just mentioned above. I have a list of projects lined up. If I feel "stuck" on something, then rather than sit and wait for inspiration to hit, I move on to the next thing on the list. Usually once I've let the "stuck" thing sit for a while it will come unstuck all by itself. 
In terms of writing, this means never getting writer's block. If you aren't making progress on a project (or even just a certain aspect of the project) then make good use of your time by getting something else done. Move on to another story for a day or so until something gets jarred loose and you can come back to what you were working on. I've found this to be very effective when I feel like I'm losing momentum on a project.
Congratulations, Kaye! Email me with your mailing address and I'll get that fancy notepad in the mail to you. :)

Meanwhile, should we make contests a "regular thing" around here? What sorts of "prizes" would you like to see?

2 comments:

Kaye Draper said...

Holy cow! Wow thanks :) Off to prepare my reward speech...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kaye! Your idea was a great one!

Christi Corbett