Friday, August 24, 2012

Fridaydream: libraries.

I've always wanted a huge, wood-paneled library: the kind with a ladder that slides around the room and shelves that are twice my height. Not terribly practical in earthquake country, but this is fantasy territory, so the practicality is kind of irrelevant.

Some of the libraries in this slideshow would suit me just fine.

How about you? Do you dream of shelves full of leather-or-pleather-bound hardcovers with deckled edges? Are you plotting to keep your entire library on your Kindle/iPad/Nook/Kobo?

4 comments:

Delphine Dryden said...

Gorgeous! I, too, daydream of such libraries. In reality, ebooks were a boon to this dust-allergic girl and her equally allergic family. We send more physical books to the used bookstore than we bring in, these days. All my fantasy reading niches now come with a power outlet for recharging :-)

Jessica Brockmole said...

I know I'm not the only one out there who seriously covets Belle's library in Disney's Beauty & the Beast...

Courtney Miller-Callihan said...

Ha, yeah, Jessica, I didn't want to admit that out loud, but that is definitely one of the best examples of the Dream Library.

Shoshanna Evers said...

The house I grew up in was an old 1900s English Tudor in Westchester, NY, and it had fun things like a "butler's pantry" (a long hallway between the kitchen and dining room with cabinents, prep counters, and a sink), a full bathroom directly off the renovated kitchen (because my parents had no need for the "maid's quarters" adjacent to the kitchen so they just knocked the walls down and made a big kitchen) and yes, a library.

The library did indeed have wood-panelled walls and a wall of books from floor to ceiling. No ladder, though. If I wanted a high up book getting to it was part of the terrifying fun (tip toe on a step stool, anyone?) There was a comfy couch for reading, and a piano at the other end.

I loved that house, and I miss it now that my parents downsized to a cozy little ranch house a few years after they became empty nesters.

But like Del, all I need now is my Kindle and a comfy place to sit and I'm in a huge, digital library. It's different.