Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On the fabled "summer slowdown."

I can sense August around the corner: my email inbox is quieting. Publishing industry folks and prospective clients alike are heading out on vacation (or at least taking a "tech vacation," a very 21st century term for a practice I highly recommend). Things feel a little sleepy at this time of year. I know I'd certainly rather sit on the patio with a glass of white wine than put the finishing touches on the "tough love" critique letter I owe one of my clients.

It's a great time of year for daydreaming, I think, and that makes it a great time of year to brainstorm ideas for new writing projects.

I'm thinking of taking a break from the "inside baseball" posts for a few weeks, but I've been missing all of you. If I posted writing prompts for a while instead, would anyone play along?

I'm thinking it would work like this: I post the prompt, and you write on the prompt on your blog (and post a link in the comments-- I promise to click over and read!). If your favorite genre is haiku, you can put the whole thing in the comments.

What do you think? And how is your summer going?

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds fabulous! I love writing prompts, and sometimes a break from my wip is much needed.

Unknown said...

Do it! I have needed some material to move me to blog more. That is an excellent idea.

Shoshanna Evers said...

I love the idea, although as you know I'll be pretty busy the next couple weeks ;) Looking forward to reading other people's stuff though!

Sara said...

That sounds so fun! I'd love to play!